Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Weeds, Dandelions, Please the Bees

Would you leave weeds in your lawn to save the bees???

Photo from Urban Farm Magazine Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152399514750132&set=pb.106494095131.-2207520000.1401074017.&type=3&theater
   
I was reading an old Urban Farm Magazine (Fall 2010) and I came across something very interesting that changed my perspective.  The article was "Bee Flys Into a Bar" by Cherie Langlois and there was an interesting sidebar titled, "Save the Bees".  Of particular interest was one paragraph was headed with 'Be Kind to Weeds' - really?  Weeds drive me crazy.  On my lawn, in my garden, I am always trying to figure out ways to keep them out.  However; this quote by beekeeper Michael Bush changed everything for me:

   "When bees look out over a yard full of nothing but grass, they see a desert with nothing to eat.  When they find a yard dotted with clover, dandelions and other weeds, they see food to forage"

   I started watching bees and yes, they certainly do like dandelions and clover very much.  I can't look at those weeds in my yard anymore with the same disdain, and I actually would feel guilty getting rid of them all.  So, now I have a new perspective on weeds, and you know what?  It saves me a lot of work and maybe I'll save some bees too. 

See things differently.  Look at something from a different perspective.
#MIBP3


No comments:

Post a Comment