Pages

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Homeland Security? Emergency Management?

A photo of the front of the New York State Police Academy building in Albany, NY.
NY State Police Academy - Albany, NY  Picture from: https://www.troopers.ny.gov/Academy/
    
Criminal Justice is my major, but that is too broad.  I have to decide on a program.  When I was at the NY State Police Academy and we were learning how to write a good report we were told to always make sure the report contained: WHO, WHAT, WHEN and WHERE.  Those were the facts that all reports needed to include, if further inquiry was necessary the Investigator would follow up looking for HOW and maybe WHY.  Throughout my career I always wanted to know WHY.  From the University to the Courts to Probation, I always wanted to know WHY. WHY would someone commit a crime?  WHY would someone take illegal drugs?  WHY would someone join a gang? 
  While I have an interest in many Criminal Justice topics the choice is obvious - CriminologyCriminology will help me  to see/understand the WHY and if you can find the WHY maybe you can prevent, rehabilitate, change or control. 
  Next decision - which 28 books to read?
Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!

No comments:

Post a Comment