Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Criminal Justice Professor - NOT Qualified


Fraternal Order of Court Officers - New York State Courts
The bulk of my work life has been in Law Enforcement and I have a Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice.  My dream was to teach Criminal Justice in retirement, to trade Officer Kim for Professor Kim.  Sometimes dreams don't come true, and for me that has been the case.  Acting on faulty information I relocated to Michigan believing that I was qualified to teach in Community Colleges with my Law Enforcement experience and Bachelors Degree. I would soon find out that a Masters Degree was required, but shame on me for not researching this better before I moved.         
   Wait...someone with NO Law Enforcement experience, but holding a Masters Degree is more qualified to teach Criminal Justice at a Community College than someone with 20 years experience, someone who has attended 2 Academies and who also holds a Bachelors Degree?  Whatever, it is not my call to make.  Would I like to have a Masters Degree?  Hell yeah, I'd even like to have a PhD, but that does not quite fit in with my current finances.  Disappointed I would work at a couple of security jobs, most notably at the Zoo (love those animals) and even did a stint with Probation.  All good, you can always learn something from whatever you do.  
   Living in Michigan we are blessed to have Michigan Works and I routinely attend classes at the Ferndale Career Center.  In a recent class; "Navigating Encore Careers and Mid-Life Career Changes" I was intrigued by a statement that it was thought that reading 28 books on a subject was equal to a Masters Degree.  Now I know that I won't actually get a Masters Degree, but I'm going to do it to prove something to myself and see where this takes me.    
Join me on the journey.  
#MIBP3 
State University of New York Public Safety

No comments:

Post a Comment